Thursday, September 10, 2015

If I could have one thing from home...

Hello Blog Readers,

So this week was the start of classes at Yamanashi Gakuin, me and the other iCLA students began taking courses in a time frame similar to that of add/drop periods at other universities. Within the next two weeks, we are allowed to juggle our schedules and try a variety of classes that we are interested in or stick with the courses we selected during preregistration. At the end of this period, students must submit a finalized registration for the classes they will be taking for the semester. (In case I didn't specify, iCLA or International College of Liberal Arts is the name of the program YGU has for international students to study alongside Japanese students who have volunteered for the program in order to learn/improve their English and help internationals settle in to life in Kofu.) Up to now I've spent pretty simple days in Japan, I haven't gone out to Tokyo yet, I haven't really gone beyond Kofu at all, I'm still trying to settle in and get familiar with the local area before I branch out and explore Japan more thoroughly. That's not to say that I've been cooped up in my dorm this whole time though, I frequently expand my knowledge of Kofu by walking around town, a little further each time. I enjoy walking around and seeing the local shops (the supermarkets are particularly wonderful as it gives me plenty of exposure to Japanese spoken and written language). While I'm still finding it sort of surreal that I'm in Japan and surrounded by seemingly endless things to here, I'm also wishing I had packed certain things from home.

One thing I've noticed is that the "sweets" here don't really stand up to what we have back at home. That is, cookies and doughnuts just aren't that sweet. I'm not saying that Japanese pastries and treats aren't delicious or that you can't find any familiar treats here (I've seen oreos, kitkats, moon pies and the like), it's just different from the sweets I love from back home. So that brings me to the topic: If I could have one thing from home, what would it be?


Various kinds of Pocky (which are all really good!)


Familiar sodas, but just some different packaging (Coke looks almost exactly the same as it does in the states too.)


My personal favorite Japanese candy: Lion brand Soda candy


Japanese cookies and sweets from a welcome party for the international students :)

This is a tough question as I can think of several things I'd want from the states. Sure I could say my favorite potato chips or homemade cookies from my grandma, or anything of the sort. But that makes me think, if I could only choose one thing... Would I really choose food? 
Am I that desperate for one of my favorite sweets that it would be my number one choice? I also instantly thought of my favorite brand of iced tea mix, it comes in a big container and would easily last me throughout my entire stay. It's my absolute favorite drink and the teas here are good, but they just don't compare. 


Cookies that taste almost like homemade.

I also thought: "The bed here is pretty firm, maybe I would wish for my comfy bed?" but that one of course seemed ridiculous and I wanted to try to think seriously about this, so if I could have any one thing, something that I could reasonably have here... What would it be?

I was discussing this topic during a Skype call with my boyfriend back home and I thought: "Wouldn't it be nice to have him here exploring Japan with me?" But again I'm trying to think feasibly here, so unfortunately, he isn't something I could've packed. (haha)

I guess if I were told to pick just one thing it would have to be something that I absolutely cannot find here, something to make Japan feel a little more like home. There are two objects I've been wishing I could've brought since I arrived, those being my electric guitar and my skateboard. My guitar would be lovely as I could spend my free time playing songs and learning new ones. As for my skateboard, it would make getting around a lot faster than walking.

I'm not sure what I would pick if it had to be just one thing, I've been thinking about this question all day and for every idea, I can think of pros and cons or items that may be more useful. So if I didn't have to stick to reasonable options I would pick my boyfriend, I’d love seeing Japan together and having him here for days when I feel like I should've stayed home. And if I had to be reasonable, I would probably pick one of three things:
1. My skateboard for easier traveling around Kofu.
2. My favorite iced tea mix so I could enjoy it throughout my stay.
3. A HUGE batch of homemade cookies from my grandma because no snack that I find here will be as good.

I hope this post was interesting enough although my answers weren't absolute, there are a lot of things from back home that I can't find here, but that's just another reason why I want to embrace Japan and try what they have to offer, because sure I'll be back home in a few months, but who knows when I'll get the chance to come back to Japan?!

Thanks always for following my journey through Japan and I hope you'll continue enjoying my posts as I continue to figure things out on my own,
Julia.

No comments:

Post a Comment